MESSAGE BOARD WORLD TOUR NEWS & NOTES BIO QUOTES DISCOGRAPHY MULTIMEDIA LYRICS AWARDS PIC OF THE WEEK PICTURE GALLERY FAN ZONE APPEARANCES SHANIA TWAIN FAN CLUB SHANIA KIDS CAN SHANIA IN VEGAS SHANIA ON CMT SHANIA ON iTUNES
FUN FACTS & TRIVIA:
BIRTH NAME: Eilleen Regina Edwards
DATE OF BIRTH: August 28, 1965
BIRTHPLACE: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
HOME-TOWN: Timmins, Ontario, Canada (500 miles north of Toronto)
RESIDENCES: While married to Mutt Lange - Shania had been living in a château (now sold) just outside Montreux, Switzerland in La Tour-de-Peilz (a beautiful little village east of' Lausanne, on the northeast hillside overlooking Lake Geneva)
In October 2006, Shania moved to Corseaux, Switzerland into a reportedly smaller château.
In mid 2007, Shania bought an old farm in the district of Sarine Fribourgeoise, Switzerland. The site is called Moulin-de-Prez. Around that same time, they also bought a house in Blonay, Switzerland - Blonay is a charming village overlooking Lake Geneva.
In September 2007, Shania moved back to La Tour-de-Peilz.
Shania also spends time living on a 62,000 acre merino sheep farm in Wanaka, New Zealand.
Shania has a cottage on Lake of Bays near Huntsville, Ontario, a house in Marco Island, Florida and bought a home on Mustique island (a small Caribbean island) in 2005. She also had a home on Florida's west coast and an estate in Lake Placid (Adirondacks), NY.
After marrying Frederic Thiebaud in 2011 - The couple primarily reside in The Bahamas. Also have a house in Switzerland.
MARITAL STATUS: Married South African-born veteran rock producer Robert John "Mutt" Lange on December 28, 1993. Announced marital divorce on May 15, 2008.
- Married Swiss businesman Fredericc Thiebaud on January 1, 2011 in Rincon, Peurto Rico. (Shania's first husband, Robert Lange, left her for Thiebaud's wife in 2008.)
CHILDREN: One son named Eja D'Angelo Lange. Born in Switzerland on August 12, 2001.
BIRTH PARENTS: Clarence & Sharon Edwards
ADOPTIVE PARENT: Jerry Twain (after marrying Shania's mom)
SIBLINGS: ~ Jill (half sister/Shania's mom, Sharon, got pregnant before meeting and marrying Clarence)
~ Carrie-Ann (real sister/Clarence & Sharon's daughter)
~ Mark (half brother/Jerry & Sharon's son)
~ Darryl (cousin - Jerry's sister's son. Jerry adopted him when she died)
Shania is the second oldest.
PETS: Dogs (current): Melody (Labrador Retriever mix), Jett (mix), Eja's dog Loona (German Shepherd mix)
(past): Tim, a German Shepherd, named after her hometown of Timmins (passed away during Up! tour); Two brown Newfoundlands named Coal and Mocha.
Cats (current): Skipper
Horses (current): Mimi
(past): Shadow - Tennessee Walker [mild horse--visitors usually ride]
Thunder - Tennessee Walker
Tango - Spotted Saddle bred
Alex - Miniature horse
Chief - Tennessee Walker
Queeny - Retired Canadian Mounted Police Horse
Slick - America Saddle bred
HEIGHT: 5' 3 1/2"
EYES: Dark Green
CLOTHING SIZE: 2, sometimes 4
SHOE SIZE: 6
CHILDHOOD DREAMS: To live in a brick house and eat roast beef, to be kidnapped by Frank Sinatra and to be Stevie Wonder's backup singer.
FAVORITE HANG-OUTS IN TIMMINS: Don's Pizza where Shania likes to get poutine (fries covered with chucks of cheese and gravy) and the Farmer's Market where she bought home-baked sticky donuts.
FAVORITE MEAL: Tomato-mozzarella-avocado salad, a papaya and a white tea.
FAVORITE FOOD: Fruit pie and pasta (she's a vegetarian)
FAVORITE DESSERT: All pastries but especially peach pie
FAVORITE COCKTAIL: Fruit
FAVORITE THING TO COOK: Chocolate cake
FAVORITE COLORS: Red & Green
FAVORITE INSTRUMENT: Guitar
FAVORITE MUSIC: Everything
FAVORITE MUSICIAN: Eric Clapton
FAVORITE SONGS: Wildflower (Skylarc), Dream A Little Dream Of Me (Mamma's & Pappa's), Coat Of Many Colors, In The Getto (Dolly Parton), She's Always A Woman To Me (Billy Joel), I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams)
FAVORITE BOOK: The World According To Garp and The Liars' Club
FAVORITE MOVIE: Notting Hill and Immortal Beloved
FAVORITE ACTOR: Jim Carrey
FAVORITE ACTRESS: Jessica Lange
FAVORITE PERFUME: Elizabeth Arden, Green Tea and Issey Miyake
FAVORITE DESIGNER: Marc Bouwer
FAVORITE CLOTHES: Flannel Pajamas
FAVORITE PLACE TO VISIT: Paris
FAVORITE INDULGENCE: Sleep
FAVORITE SPORT: Hockey to watch, Horse ball (a Spanish game) to play
FAVORITE WILD ANIMAL: Otter
FAVORITE FLOWER: Wild Rose
FAVORITE TREE: White Pine
FAVORITE CHRISTMAS ALBUMS: Christmas With Tammy Wynette and Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas; "I put them on when I'm cooking. It doesn't matter what time of year."
HOW SHE UNWINDS: Reading, Horseback riding and crying shamelessly at films like "My Best Friend's Wedding"
HOBBIES: Camping, Horseback riding, Song writing
SPECIAL SKILL: Juggling
BEST CHARACTERISTIC: Resourceful
WORST CHARACTERISTIC: Impatient
VALUE MOST: Family and happiness
FIRST PERFORMANCE: 1st grade show & tell, she sang "Country Roads".
FIRST RECORDING: 1985 duet with Tim Denis called "Heavy On The Sunshine".
• She also sang back vocals on the Sammy Kershaw song "Haunted Heart".
• Her first album, Shania Twain, only contained 1 of her own songs, "God Aint Gonna Getcha For That".
CHARITY: Shania Kids Can
MORE FACTS & TRIVIA ABOUT SHANIA
• She was born with the name Eilleen Regina Edwards with a French, Irish & Canadian background to Clarence and Sharon Edwards.
• She is the second oldest of 5 brothers and sisters.
• Names of her sisters are: Jill and Carrie-Ann.
• Names of her brothers are: Mark and Darryl.
• Shania was raised in an Ojibwa Indian culture. The name "Shania" (Sha-NYE-uh), means "I'm on my way" in Ojibway.
• Shania worked in her dad's reforestation business six months out of 12 between ages 17-21.
• Shania once used to say, "fries are up", because she was a former McDonald's employee.
• While Shania was working as a musical act in the Deerhurst resort in the Huntsville area, she met a fellow employee with the name 'Shania'.
• Robert John 'Mutt' Lange met Shania for the first time in person at the '93 Fan Fair. Before this, they were simply friends on the phone sharing and discussing ideas for songs.
• Shania and Mutt fell in love and married on December 28, 1993.
• The Woman In Me may be one of the most expensive country albums ever produced.
• The Woman In Me has sold more than 12 million copies worldwide.
• "Home Ain't Where His Heart Is Anymore" was the very first song Shania sang to 'Mutt' on the phone. This song, therefore was the first song on the album The Woman In Me.
• Cledus T. Judd wrote a song called "If Shania was Mine", a parody of "Any Man of Mine".
• Part of the video for "Any Man of Mine" was shot on Bo and John Derek's ranch in St. Inez.
• It took a 5 hour fitting to get the black velvet pants in the "(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here" video to fit Shania's specifications (but they did a good job!).
• "No One Needs To Know" was featured in the movies "Edie and Pen" starring Stockard Channing, and "Twister" starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton.
• Shania's "Don't Be Stupid" video only took about 10 hours to film, as opposed to the average 14 hours for a video.
• Shania's nickname for Mutt is "Love" and Mutt's nickname for Shania is "Woody" because her old hairdo reminded him of Woody Woodpecker!
• Shania has been a vegetarian since she married 'Mutt' who is also one.
• Shania has a rather large German Shepherd that goes everywhere with her, and also doubles as her guard dog. His name is Tim, named after her home-town, Timmins, in Ontario. (Unfortunately, Tim died during Shania's UP! tour). This reflects Shania's great love for animals. She also has 5 horses and 2 New Foundland dogs.
• There is a road in Timmins, Ontario named "Shania Twain Way".
• Shania designed her own tour bus for her '98 tour. She also brought along one of her horses (a retired show horse who is accustomed to travel) with her on the tour.
• This horse was also featured in the video of "Any Man Of Mine".
• Shania's favorite video is "The Woman In Me".
• The songs "The Woman In Me" and "Leaving Is The Only Way Out", were written almost entirely by Shania while "You Win My Love" was written entirely by "Mutt".
• Shania and "Mutt" used to live in Lake Placid, New York near the Adriondark Mountains but then moved to Florida. They now live in Switzerland because apparently America isn't private enough.
• Shania's favorite flowers are white roses, she had them at her wedding.
• Out of all of her song's, Shania's favorite song is "When".
• Shania once turned down a guest appearance on "Baywatch".
• Shania was once in a band called "Longshot".
• The Woman In Me, Come On Over and UP! have all sold over 10 million copies. Shania is the only artist in history with three albums that have sales of 10 million copies each.
return to shania index return to top of page