Celine Dion’s return delayed? Plus, new stars to be announced for the New Year
By Robin Leach
November 17, 2014
Plans are in progress for Celine Dion’s return to her residency at the Colosseum in Caesars Palace, but because that’s now not likely to resume until May instead of the earlier expected March date, two stars are being added to the lineup.
In a passing of the baton as Shania Twain winds up her two-yearlong Las Vegas residency on Dec. 13, expect the first of two star announcements to be made.
The first will involve a “country superstar with a myriad of No. 1 hits,” and that’s set off a guessing game of rumors on the possibility of several stars, including a major spotlight on a string of concerts by Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Reba McEntire and Dolly Parton.
“The identity will be revealed before Shania leaves town,” I was told when I checked on the rumors. “Shania will welcome her to the Colosseum.”
The second star will be announced in early January. That announcement had been scheduled in Los Angeles over the next two weeks, but now the music artist has decided that she wants to travel to Las Vegas to do it in person and with select media interviews.
I had been told from reliable sources that despite some good news on Celine’s husband Rene Angelil’s battle with cancer, there has been a setback and she has decided that she needs the additional two months to continue caring for him.
Rene was spotted at a poker tournament in the Venetian last week but “looking frail with considerable weight loss.” He has been battling throat cancer and underwent another surgery this year.
Shania returns to Caesars on Dec. 6 for her final six shows of her two-year residency. She plans to finish recording her new album and hit the road on tour, as she told me exclusively in our most recent sit-down interview. You will be able to see part of it in my appearance on Oprah Winfrey’s “Where Are They Now?” airing on OWN on Nov. 30 at 9:00pm ET/PT.
The night before her final Dec. 13 show, Shania will host a party for her Shania Kids Can Foundation. She’ll be on hand to talk about the program and will personalize items won in the silent auction. Proceeds from the event will benefit the SKC program here in North Las Vegas, which began at Tom Williams Elementary School.
Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.
Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.
Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.
Follow Sun A&E Senior Editor Don Chareunsy on Twitter at Twitter.com/VDLXEditorDon.